Welcome to the Hand Weavers and Spinners Guild of NSW Inc
The next guild meeting will be held from 1:30pm in the church hall behind St Paul's, 205 Burwood Road, Burwood, Sydney on Saturday, November 30, 2013.Laverne Waddington will speak, do a small demonstration of her backstrap weaving and show slides.
For our 65th anniversary members sent us squares that we made into a banner that was displayed when we met in public. This year we would like to send those squares back to members to be transformed into an exhibit for Open Day in 2014. If you cannot come to the meeting but would like a square, contact the Guild.
November Mini Workshop with Kris SupierzMake a fancy yarn to use as a garland on a Christmas tree or to just use as present wrappings. You would need a core yarn (knitting or crochet cotton), all your scraps and noils that are left over from your flicking/hand carding etc (garbage) and maybe some glitter thread to wrap. A great way not to throw out some pertinently still usable fibre.
Mini workshops start at 11:00am in the small hall below the Guild rooms. There may be a small materials fee. If you have any ideas for minis contact Kris Supierz, at the Guild.
If you've always wanted to try spinning or weaving, but have been putting it off, the Guild has regular classes.
Recent Guild Articles
- Norway broadcaster NRK to show 12 hours of knitting, sheep-shearing in 'slow TV' broadcast
- 'Noisy' Cramlington library knitters no longer welcome
- Bringing an ancient craft into a modern context
- There's a maximum-security prison in Brazil where male inmates are expert knitters
- Nanny and Ewe Camp
- Dress to kill in this synthetic spider silk outfit
- Feltfine: April Guest speaker
- Freda Neale Grant 2013
- 19th International Back to Back Challenge and Apple Pie Bake-Off
- Canberra Centenary Tapestry