This year the Alice Springs Beanie Festival will celebrate the beanie’s ability to ascribe to a head full of love, warmth and joy.
The textile techniques – knitting, crochet, felting, weaving are easy to learn and difficult to master. Amazing levels of technical skill can be developed to make ideas come alive. This is when the ordinary beanie becomes extraordinary.
A Head Full of Love categories:
- Natural Fibres Beanie
- Loveliest Madcap Prize
- Lovely Layering: use a mix of techniques
- Love of the Land: the ranges, bush, sea, desert
- Champion Love: that expresses your Love
- Loveliest Animal Beanie: animals, birds, reptiles, insects and strange invertebrates all welcome
- Eileen Bladon Tea Cosy Prize
- Ashford’s prize for best hand felted beanie: wet, needle or knit and felt techniques
- Central Australian: outstanding work made by a local
- Festival committee acquisition prize: for wonderful and unusual work
- Robbie Beard hand spun prize: for a work made with yarn hand spun by the artist
- New wave beanie encouragement prize: for a school-aged beginner beanie maker
- New wave beanie prize: for a school-aged advanced beanie maker
- People’s prize: the favourite beanie of 2010
Voting to be carried out during the festival.
Beanies and entries must have been received by Friday, 4 June. Late entries will be returned COD. Winners will be announced at the opening on Friday, 25 June. The winners will be notified by mail and posted on the website http://www.beaniefest.org/
Where: Gallery One, Araluen Centre, Alice Springs Cultural Precinct, Larapinta Drive, Alice Springs
When: 7pm Friday, June 25. Open daily until Sunday July 25.
Enquiries: Jo Nixon for advice, encouragement or swing tags