The 29th International Scarf Exchange is being hosted by a consortium of groups resident in the Shoalhaven area on the south coast of NSW. They are Berry Spinners & Weavers Inc, Nowra Spinners & Weavers Inc and Wool Road Spinners & Weavers Inc, with help from Murramarang Spinners & Weavers Inc.
The aims of the Scarf Exchange are to preserve the skills of spinning, weaving, knitting, crochet and felting, expand the wool craft network and to challenge each crafter to produce their best original work. The theme chosen for 2021, which you may interpret in any way you wish, is very apt for our location.
Participation involves you selecting, and sending to us, 150 grams of washed and prepared fresh natural fibre which must be free from any contamination or strong odours. Please ensure that all fibre is very clean and already combed or carded. Also ensure it has not absorbed any odours including mothballs or similar as this may trigger asthma. Please contact the co-ordinator if you are unfortunate enough to receive fibre that does not meet these standards. It will be returned to the sender.
Your fibre will be crafted into a scarf, wrap, gloves/mittens or socks, by another randomly selected participant in the exchange. You will also be sent another participant’s fibre that you need to craft into a scarf, wrap, gloves/mittens or socks, using a method of your choice, adding extra fibre, or colour as you wish but please take into account any preferences expressed by the sender of the fibre.
Co-ordinator: Denise Stevens
Registration is from 1 August 2020 until 30 November 2020
Information and entry form will also be available online at the Hand Weavers & Spinners Guild NSW website www.nsweave.org.au under the tab
International Scarf Exchange.
- An entry form needs to be printed and filled out. Please ensure you take a photo or photocopy for your records.
- The entry fee is to be paid either by cheque in Australian Dollars (AUD) included with your entry form or by electronic funds transfer (EFT) – instructions on the entry form.
- Send your fibre in a resealable bag with a fibre sample in a small separate bag, and a printed copy of your entry form to: International Scarf Exchange, Wool Road Spinners & Weavers Inc, PO Box 141, Huskisson NSW 2540, Australia before Monday, 30 November 2020.
- You will receive an exchange package of fibre plus a crafter sheet by the end of January 2021 and will then have 4 months to spin, dye, knit, crochet, felt or weave it into a wonderful creation to showcase the best of your fibre art talents.
- Deadline delivery date for return of your finished item, your crafter sheet and any excess fibre to the Wool Road Spinners & Weavers Inc is Friday, 29 May 2021.
- A virtual exhibition of all finished items is planned. Details to follow.
- Finished items will be returned to participants by the end of July 2021.